Thursday, May 5, 2011

In Honor of Mother's Day... Baby animals!!!


Mother's Day approaches. This is a day of breakfasts, flowers, and sentimental cards. In my geographical predicament, it's a day of bi-coastal phone calls where I try to express my deepest gratitude and love for the 3 ladies who raised me: my mom, my Gram, and my Sito (grandma is Arabic). These are women who woke me up in time for school, laughed at my corny jokes, encouraged my talents and skills, yelled at me for smoking and kissing boys, fed me great ethnic family foods, told me I was beautiful and then begged me to wear colors instead of all black, held exhausting 8-hour a day jobs that they rushed home from to turn around and drive me back up 95 to take me to dance classes 4 times a week, and were my shoulder to cry on when I learned life's hard lessons. These are the role models that molded me into the (nearly) perfect adult woman that I am today. How do you thank someone for that?

Recently I have had a change of heart about my priorities and have decided to focus less on career climbing and more on building a family (I had written some horrible analogy about being lucky with your eggs and gambling on the fertility-slot-machine and seeing what pops out... but it got too graphic). But, I believe this is one way to let my mom know what an amazing job I think she did... by trying motherhood myself. It has such purpose.

I am currently the proud mother of a 4-pawed gray tabby. She is a beauty. I give her all of the love she deserves and then some. As you well know by now, I am a sucker for soft furry friends. So, in honor of motherhood - past, present, and future, I share this with you.

First a special thanks to Miss Andy Goldblatt and Jeff Crocker, who so kindly called my attention to this website called Zooborns! A site devoted to baby animals born in zoos. Ahhh! I love it! Too cute!




And now meet Baby Quembo at the zoo in Frankfurt, West Germany:


You can learn more about this little sweet one here: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Photos+Meet+Quembo+Frankfurt+baby+gorilla/4070215/story.html



Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers of the earth... especially mine!

















1 comment:

  1. I think you'd make a fantastic Mom! It sounds like you had awesome examples. :) I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete